Our Province is committed to the principle of life-long learning and of living and working according to the highest standards of personal and professional behaviour. This related to areas of knowledge, competence, behaviour, dress, language, and duty of care. It is the responsibility of every person in the Passionist Family to contribute to a safe and enriching environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults.
There are mandated practices to be observed that require us never to be alone with a child and to report suspected abuse or neglect. More than simply conforming to the obligations required, we must always have an attitude of overriding concern to ensure the safety and well-being of every child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The Province has a comprehensive Professional Standards policy
Message from Fr.Thomas McDonough CP: Provincial Superior
Safeguarding of Children and Adults at Risk
The Passionist Fathers Holy Spirit Province is committed to the following principles:
- At all times the safety, well-being and protection from any form of harm or abuse of children, youth and adults at risk are paramount.
- All Passionist religious and other Passionist employees and volunteers have a duty of care to support and protect children, youth, and adults at risk.
- Our recruitment, employment and supervision processes are to be of high quality in order to select and engage suitable people to work with children, youth and adults at risk.
- Education and training in recognising abuse, responding to a disclosure, and reporting an allegation is provided for all engaged in working with children, youth and adults at risk, either directly or indirectly.
- If there is suspicion that a child, youth, or adult at risk is subject to some form of harm or abuse there will be immediate intervention ensuring the person is protected and supported.
- A prompt compassionate and just response is made on receiving any complaint or notification of harm or abuse (current or historic).
- Care is offered to the family of the child or person who may have suffered harm.
- Persons involved in an allegation of abuse will be treated with justice and compassion and have appropriate confidentiality maintained.
Fr Tom McDonough cp
Passionist Fathers Holy Spirit Province.
Reporting and healing
The Passionist Fathers Holy Spirit Province is committed to helping those who have suffered abuse in the past find healing in their lives today.
To that end, we encourage anyone who may have suffered past abuse to contact the Professional Standards Office of the Passionist Fathers on (02) 8577 5600 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Our commitment also extends to fully cooperating with authorities in the investigation of abuse, no matter where or when it may have occurred.
We strongly urge any person who has any evidence of criminal conduct to contact their local police and report it so that it can be appropriately investigated.
National Redress Scheme
The Passionist Fathers Holy Spirit Province has been declared a participating institution under the National Redress Scheme.
This means that any person who has experienced abuse in any of our facilities and associated institutions can have their claim assessed through the Scheme.
The National Redress Scheme provides survivors of institutional child sexual abuse access to personal approach including apology, counselling, and monetary payments through an independent process.
Under the rules of the Scheme, applications must be made directly with the National Redress Scheme itself. The Passionist Fathers are unable to accept any application.
Information about the National Redress Scheme, how to make an application, and how to access free support services, can be found on their website www.nationalredress.gov.au or by calling 1800 737 177.
Should you not wish to use the National Redress Scheme you can still seek support and assistance by contacting the Passionist Fathers’ Professional Standards Office.
The Professional Standards Office of the Passionist Fathers Holy Spirit Province can be contacted by:
P +612 8577 5600