St Joseph’s Church Hobart
St Joseph’s is the oldest Catholic Church in Hobart. The first Mass was celebrated in the Church on Christmas Eve 1841. Fr. John Joseph Therry was the first Parish Priest from 1838-1844.
The first Bishop of Hobart, Robert William Willson was installed as the first Archbishop of Hobart in St Joseph’s on 12 May 1844. St. Joseph’s was the pro-Cathedral until St. Mary’s was built.
In 1956 Archbishop Guilford Young invited the Passionist Congregation to take over this busy city parish.
The church became a city spirituality centre with lunch time masses and Eucharistic adoration.
Also traditional retreats were conducted in the Monastery until 1972.
Currently our main parish outreach is to the re-settlement of migrants in Hobart, the Chaplaincy to the Royal Hobart Hospital and home visitation to the sick & elderly.